Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Memberships

This has been the month for me to join Yahoo groups that are involved with romance writing.

1 Cata Network Writers http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CataNetwork-Writers/ This is a discussion loop for romance writers. Single titles, e-book, category romance writers, short stories, screenplay writers. I joined the Cata Network because they had a workshop on how to Analysis a Mills & Boon book. Since this is what I want to write – I though it would be a handy skill to develop.


2 Claytons Conference http://groups.yahoo.com/group/claytonsconference_group/ This is the group for those attending the RWA conference in Australia each year. I was particularly interested in the Short Story/Novella writing workshop by Shiloh Walker. I buy her stories from Ellora’s Cave.

3 Lucy Monroe Classes http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LucyMonroeClasses/ This group is for free online writing workshops presented by romance author, Lucy Monroe. This has really helped me work out what I want to do and come up with a plan.

4 Romance Australia http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/romanceaustralia/ This is a private on-line discussion group for current members of RWA I figure if I’m serious about writing I can’t go wrong with joing the RWA

5 Romantic at Heart http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RomanticAtHeart/ This is a Critique Group. What better way to learn to write then to help others. I’ve never critiqued before so will be jumping in with both feet.

Even though I haven’t been with these groups long. Some for only a couple of days. I feel I’ve grown from doing the workshops and listening to what others have had to say. The only downside I can see is that I’ve not put the hours into my writing. As I’ve heard from others you need to write to be a writer.

3 comments:

Sussan Marz said...

I'm a member of most of those groups too. After a while, I find it's too much information and all it does is confuse me. I find it's best to take what you need as you need it.

Of course you need to write to be a writer. You need to run to be a marathon runner too, but don't you think there's a whole lot that goes on before the running even starts? Some runners only eat carbs, others swear by mostly protein; some train once a week, some train for 6 hours a day; at the end of it all they all run. Same is true of your writing.

Barb said...

Thanks for your comments Sussan, I’m still finding my feet so have found Lucy Monroe’s the best site for me as a beginner, I’m checking the others to see what’s been discussed in general (some interesting conversations out there), I’m sure when I’ve read a bit more about the in’s and out of being a writer I’ll also go looking for info when I want/need it. You are right, it is easy to be overloaded with information.
Once I started doing a lot of reading I was amazed at how much authors need to do apart from the writing. To keep on top of things, I’ve written out a schedule for the month of October, this way I think I can fit things in and keep writing as I go. It’s only day 2 but I feel calmer.

Monique Wood said...

Barb,

I've joined exactly the same groups!!

I'm at the stage that everything I read helps, so I don't mind all the emails. With time I may leave some groups, but like you, I'm new to this and I enjoy all the messages.

Good luck with NaNo! I've added you to my buddy list.

:-)Monique